The popularization of a healthy lifestyle, competent marketing, and a low yield all contributed to the fact that over the past year avocado prices in the world have increased by an average of 30%. In Mexico, cartels are embarking on a new business, while in China this year, their first own berry harvest is expected (yes, avocados are berries). In general, avocados are expensive today, and you can’t eat a lot of them after all, 250 calories in one piece. Therefore, we decided to figure out what can be done with one avocado.
How to choose an avocado
The most popular avocado varieties in the world are Hass and Fuerte. Hass with dense, pimply skin, as the fruits ripen, the fruits become almost black. Fuerte, by contrast, are thin-skinned and remain bright green. The easiest way to determine the readiness of an avocado is to tear off the stalk and see what color the flesh is underneath. Yellow the avocado still lies a couple of days, brown the avocado is ripe, bright green is what you need. If you want the avocado to ripen faster, put it in a brown paper bag with a banana. Bananas emit ethylene gas, which accelerates the ripening process.
I have one perfect avocado, how to cook it?
The simplest recipe is to cut the avocado in half, remove the stone, sprinkle with lime or lemon juice, salt (preferably with coarse salt) and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. By the way, always try to use freshly ground pepper, it has a completely different flavor. There is such an avocado with a spoon, just digging out of the boat-peel. But there are other ways both very simple and more complicated, at least for breakfast, at least for dinner.
Toast with avocado, feta cheese, and mint
The most suitable bread for this dish is sourdough wheat, with a crispy crust and a slightly sour taste. In general, toast with avocado is the perfect breakfast in five minutes. The only task here is to get the ingredients in advance.
Ingredients (in two servings):
- one avocado, one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lime juice;
- one tablespoon of finely chopped fresh mint;
- a quarter of a teaspoon of fine salt;
- a quarter of a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper;
- 50 grams feta cheese;
- four slices of bread.
Knead the avocado with a fork to a state of roughly mashed potatoes, add lime juice, mint.
There you can chop feta, salt, and pepper to taste.
Toast bread in a toaster, oven (in this case, first preheat the oven to 180 degrees) or in a skillet. The main thing is that the bread is hot.
Put the avocado mixture on toasts.
Avocado and Cucumber Gazpacho
Summer, of course, is over, but you should not give in to stereotypes cold soups are good at any time when you want freshness. And this recipe can also be used for avocado smoothies: just add banana, coconut water and exclude salt and pepper.
Ingredients (in two servings):
- two large cucumbers (peel and remove the seeds);
- one avocado, take out a stone, peel;
- wash one small bunch of cilantro and peel into leaves;
- wash one small bunch of peppermint and peel into leaves;
- three tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice;
- half a teaspoon of sea salt;
- a quarter teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
For cucumber salsa:
- half a glass of finely chopped cucumbers, half a glass of cilantro leaves;
- one tablespoon of tart olive oil;
- one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lime juice;
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Beat all the ingredients in a blender. You can add a little water to get the texture you need.
Combine all salsa ingredients in a small bowl.
Pour the soup into plates and garnish with salsa.
Grilled avocado and peach salad with spelled
Well, a very healthy salad, which can be either a separate dish or a side dish, for example, to baked fish or chicken. Spelled gives the salad structure, avocado and peach taste and aroma, and watercress pungency. And you will need a special grill pan.
Ingredients (in two servings, if this is a separate dish, or four, if a side dish):
- one avocado;
- two peaches;
- one small bunch of cilantro;
- one bunch of watercress;
- half a glass of spelled;
- one tablespoon of sugar;
- one clove of garlic, crush into a paste;
- a quarter cup of olive oil;
- two tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice;
- one eighth of a teaspoon of ground Zira;
- one teaspoon of salt;
- a quarter teaspoon of freshly ground pepper.
Wash watercress and cilantro. Dry, disassemble on leaves.
Boil spelled in salted water until al dente. Fold into a sieve, rinse with cold water.
While spelled is boiling, prepare salad dressing immediately in the salad bowl (this will help not to stain excess dishes). Dissolve salt in lemon juice, add garlic, Zira, pepper, and oil and beat with a fork.
Cut the avocado along, take out the stone and peel it. Cut the peach along, take out the stone. Sprinkle with lemon juice and olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Preheat the grill, put the peaches and avocados with the slice down and cook for about five minutes. Remove from the grill, cool slightly, cut into large cubes.
Put all the ingredients in a salad bowl, mix.
Chicken tacos are always good. Especially for dinner, especially while watching your next favorite series. Do not be afraid of the number of ingredients, the cooking time is 25 minutes.
Ingredients (in four servings):
- 500 grams of minced chicken;
- one small onion, chopped finely;
- one clove of garlic, crush with a knife;
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste;
- one and a half teaspoons ground Zira;
- one and a half teaspoons of ground chili;
- one teaspoon of dry oregano;
- one teaspoon of smoked Spanish paprika;
- 100 milliliters of coconut milk;
- one tablespoon of sugar;
- two tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice;
- one can of canned red beans;
- four wheat or corn tortilla cakes;
- one avocado.
Fold beans on a sieve, rinse with cold water. Allow water to drain. Cut the avocado along, take out the stone, peel off the skin. Cut into thin slices, sprinkle with lime juice.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Fry onions, garlic over medium heat until transparent, about five minutes. Add cumin, chili, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper, let the spices open and become more aromatic.
Increase heat, add minced meat, fry, stirring constantly. Add coconut milk and cook for about five minutes or until coconut milk begins to thicken. Add sugar, beans and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Divide between four pre-warmed tortillas. Put slices of avocado on top.